Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Getting ready for Christmas. Wait, what?

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine commented on Facebook that she was shocked to come across Halloween supplies in a store that she went to. Halloween was almost 3 months away at that point.

Sadly, I could trump her and say that I had already spotted Christmas supplies in Michaels Craft Store. In early August. Seriously.

Since then, many craft blogs, including the blog that many of you love-- Tatertots and Jello-- have mentioned working on Halloween projects already. Noooo! I'm still making s'mores for goodness sake. Please keep summer around!

I kept quiet and mostly to myself until now. We received the Pottery Barn Kids catalog in the mail a few days ago, and I could not help but laugh. Maybe you saw it, too.


Moving past the fact that this is a Halloween decoration coming to me in August, in and of itself, this is not funny. In fact, I kind of like it. They are simple, understated, and not too scary. The description reads something like, "Styrofoam balls draped in cotton..." Time out. What? Did you say styrofoam? Do you want to guess how much these styrofoam balls cost? $70. That is funny.

DIY:

  • Styrofoam balls from craft store (probably even the Dollar Store?); or, to take up less room in storage, use inflatable beach balls. Surely those are on sale right about now. 
  • Muslin ripped at the ends. Or, use old white pillowcases or sheets. 
  • Sharpie the eyes.
  • Use fishing line to hang.
I've officially been duped into posting about Halloween two months prior to the "big" day. Help.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, though your comments may take a while to show up as they are approved individually. Due to waaaay too much spam, I have added a word verification feature... sorry 'bout that!