Sunday, October 2, 2011

Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp


pinterest note: Given the season, this recipe has blown up on Pinterest! Good! I feel like I should note that it's important to use apples that aren't mealy to start. They should be apples that hold their texture and shape when baked, like McIntosh or Granny Smith. Otherwise, your dish will overcook. If your apples are a softer variety, just plan accordingly and reduce the cooking time (potentially just cook uncovered the whole time until browned on top). Happy cooking!

As mentioned previously, we have a lot of apples from our trip to a nearby orchard. It's a good thing apples last about 3 weeks in the fridge!

I have been bustin' out apple dishes every couple of days. So far, I've only shared with you the Cranberry Apple Pumpkin Muffins, which I've made twice. I have a couple of others in mind to share with you in the coming days.


Today's recipe was spurred on by my desire for something new in the morning. I hate eating cereal. It gets expensive, not to mention dull for the taste buds. That's what brought me to the Baked Oatmeal and Chai Granola that I shared a few months back. Those are great, but I like the idea of waking up with the flavors of the season.


And a barely sweet apple crisp was born. Granted, I did not come up with the idea (that was Deb at Smitten Kitchen), but I did tweak it a lot to fit my taste preferences. I actually prefer it less sweet and buttery than Deb's, with a few more spices, added ground flax for Omega-3s (optional), whole wheat flour, and a lower cooking temperature. Whew!


Though I didn't this time, I will probably divvy these up among ramekins instead of the large pan to save the step of portioning it into a dish each morning. I also plan on adding about 1 cup chopped frozen cranberries to the apples and leave out the lemon juice. I love the cranberry/apple combo.

Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp
Makes one 8x8 pan, which should yield 6-9 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs tart baking apples, cut into approx. 1/2 inch chunks
1 tbs lemon juice (optional)
1 tbs demerara sugar (evaporated cane juice) or brown sugar
1 tbs of arrowroot powder or cornstarch
3/4 tsp ground apple pie spice (a mix of mostly cinnamon with a little nutmeg and cloves) or all cinnamon
salt
3 tbs coconut oil or butter
2 tbs light honey (like clover honey)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup sliced almonds or other chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Place apples in the bottom of 8x8 pan. Evenly sprinkle over the apples the lemon juice, sugar, arrowroot powder, spice, and a pinch of salt. Toss the apples the best you can; it doesn't have to be perfect.

In a skillet, melt the coconut oil or butter. Stir in the honey and then the rest of the ingredients (flour, oats, almonds, shredded coconut, and cinnamon).

Pour the oat mixture evenly over the apples. Cook uncovered on the middle rack until it gets golden brown on top (about 20-25 minutes). Cover with foil and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes. It's done when the apples are tender and juices bubbling.

Cool it at room temperature before covering and refrigerating. To reheat, uncover and microwave single portions for about 45 seconds. Or, reheat larger portions in the oven at 225 until heated through.

For breakfast, eat it plain or serve it up with yogurt or a splash of milk or cream. For a healthy dessert, serve it up with a small scoop of frozen yogurt or whipped cream (like the one with the Pumpkin Spice Latte). YUM!


5 comments:

  1. YUM! I love the low amount of sugar!! How many apples would you say you used? I'm terrible and the pounds or cups equivalents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 6 smallish apples. They fit comfortably in the palm of my hand. I'll email you a pic. You need a kitchen scale! That's one of my must-have kitchen items; I didn't realize it until I got one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious... I'd love to wake up to a bowl of your apple granola. Love the photo. Am bookmarking the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious! And the ingredients list is great too, I love that it only has a little bit of honey. We have so many apples right now too so I better put this on my to-do list :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making this right now. Super excited!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, though your comments may take a while to show up as they are approved individually. Due to waaaay too much spam, I have added a word verification feature... sorry 'bout that!